The odd bit

Once is an accident, twice is a coincidence, three times is an enemy action.

The odd bit - Once is an accident, twice is a coincidence, three times is an enemy action.

Sitecore Web Service Pitfalls

I recently started an adventure involving Sitecore’s out-of-the-box web service. In fact, I didn’t know such a thing existed in Sitecore until I searched the web for information about accessing Sitecore from a process outside the ASP.NET runtime.

The good news is a web service exists. The bad news is the documentation barely exists. Apart from a document titled The Sitecore Web Service Reference Guide on the Sitecore Developer Network, you literally are on your own.

Thankfully, there’s no problem in getting it to work. The problem is actually using the web service.

Problem 1: Return values

The document describes – in nothing more than just a few words – all available methods. The return value is always of the type System.Xml.Linq.XElement but no part of the documentation shows what the return value actually looks like. After some debugging I found out the result always takes this form:

<sitecore>
    <status>ok|failed</status>
    <data>...</data>
</sitecore>

Problem 2: The documentation is wrong

Ouch! The documentation for the Save method tells us that it needs the XML representation of an item. A special note even points us in the right wrong direction:

You can obtain the XML representation by the GetXML method.

So you call GetXML, modify the XML to include your updates and then supply that XML to the Save method. Been there, done that and received the status ok reply. Woohoo!

… or not. Despite the OK from Sitecore I didn’t see my updated field value. Time to figure out what the Save method actually does using dotPeek. Upon inspection it seems the method expects an XML like:

<sitecore>
    <field itemid="{guid-of-item-to-update}"
           language=".."
           version=".."
           fieldid="{guid-of-field-to-update}" />
    <field ... />
</sitecore

That XML is completely different than the XML representation of an item! I changed my methods to produce the “new” XML format and… it worked :)

I really hope I don’t need to create a follow up post!

Category: Uncategorized
  • Robin Hermanussen says:

    Indeed, the standard Sitecore webservice is very limited and inconvenient. I used it in the Sitecore Android App that I wrote a while ago.

    Supposedly, the webservice that Sitecore Rocks offers is a lot better.

    29 May 2012 at 14:31
  • Sunil says:

    Thanks a lot

    16 November 2013 at 15:30

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*