As you have probably guessed by now, my name is Hans. I was born on 22nd of October, a fine autumn day in the great year 1981. If your memory doesn’t contain any clues about what happened in that year, read the following list for a brief overview:
- Ronald Reagan succeeds Jimmy Carter and becomes the 40th President of the United States.
- Bucks Fizz wins the Eurovision song contest with the song Making your mind up.
- Space shuttle Columbia launches into space for mission STS-1.
- Bob Marley dies.
- Pope John Paul II is shot (but survives) by a Turkish gunman.
- François Mitterand becomes the new president of France.
- The first recognized cases of AIDS are reported.
- MTV is launched.
- The original Model 5150 IBM PC with an Intel 8088 processor is released in the US.
- TGV high speed rail service between Paris and Lyon (France) begins.
I live in Belgium which is a pretty small country in Western Europe. If you’re trying to find it on a map, it’s surrounded by The Netherlands to the north, Germany to the east and France to the south. Even though it’s a small country we do have 3 official languages (Dutch, French and German) and my native language is Dutch.
I’m currently employed as a software developer. My experience is 6 years of development on the LAMP platform (Linux, Apache, MySQL and PHP). System administration remains an area of great interest for me but it would be very hard to leave the world of web development behind me. Since 4 years, I’ve gone from the LAMP stack to the .NET world. I’ve done a WinForms application, a couple of projects with ASP.NET MVC and CMS projects are done with Sitecore.
Other interests of mine include: football (the real stuff ;-), formula 1, astronomy, Star Trek and music are the most important ones. I can also appreciate a good discussion about nearly any subject.